Sunday 4 December 2011

My best friend's wedding

I remember my first evening at my Delhi room. I had left the hostel and was living on my own for the very first time. I sent a text to all my friends: “I have understood what being grown up means. It means having to do the dishes in the evening after dinner.” Most people sent commiserating or ‘you’re funny’ kind of replies. A., my best friend, sent this: “And not complaining about it! ;)”. It’s a small exchange, compared to other, more meaningful conversations that we’ve had over the years. It is an example, however, of how delightful even our most trivial conversations were.
A. is getting married in Delhi today. A. and D., congratulations :) I'm sure your wedding will be as wonderful as your life ahead. I have known A. for over 8 years now and she is one of the most independent, smart, funny, caring and passionate people I know. The fact that I did my M.Phil dissertation on time and well is thanks to her. She and I have enjoyed many trashy movies and shows together, giving to popular culture the respect and serious critical engagement it deserves. Her grace and dignity, even in the most difficult situations, is inspiring. As for her sense of humour, it is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
D., you’re incredibly lucky to have found her. The price I pay for living so far away is that I’ve never met you and she has never met V. One day, the four of us are going to meet, and then all this time in-between will be as if it never existed at all. Here’s to that someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment